Saturday, August 25, 2012

Homemade Sweet Dill Pickles - Canned

I have been canning & pickling pickles like crazy this summer! I'm fortunate because at my job people bring in tons of extra produce from their gardens to share so I've been snagging lots of cucumbers of the pickling kind. I tried a couple of my own versions of dill pickles, homemade recipes, and so far one turned out great although more garlicky tasting than dill, the other I overdid it on adding fennel seed and they weren't worth eating in my opinion! I've been swapping pickles with friends and just had a friend trade me for her amazing Sweet Dills. I'm not a big sweet pickle fan but these are dill enough with just a hint of sweetness that makes me want more and more!
Here is the recipe for her sweet dill pickles: 1 quart apple cider vinegar, 6 cups sugar, 1 quart water, 4 tablespoons pickling salt, 1-2 sprigs of dill and 2 cloves of garlic per jar. Heat vinegar mixture, pour over pickles in jar. Fit with lids and steam for 5 minutes (She uses a pressure canner, I do water bath so I will water bath process them on boiling for about 15 minutes). Makes 12-14 pints or 4-6 quarts.

1 comment:

  1. And my friend was good enough to remind me - canned pickles should be stored at least six weeks before eating! Refrigerator pickles should be pickled or stored for at least two weeks.. This is to get the maximum in bringing/pickling/flavor!

    ReplyDelete