Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cherries - Homemade Canned Cherry Pie Filling

Looking at what was left of my cherries, I decided to try my hand at making canned cherry pie filling. I will be making two jars worth since that is the equivalent of filling for one small pie. I went off the recipe at this site: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/homemade-cherry-pie-filling-recipe/ Since I was making a smaller batch I reduced the recipe to the following: I used about 3 cups cherries, (halved & pitted) 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract instead of almond extract (not ideal but it was all I had on hand!). I followed the directions, mix all together, bring to a boil, immediately reduce heat to low, and stir until all cooked together. Then I poured into my jars and placed in my water bath canner. The type of cherries I am using are the "Royal Ann" variety from Detering Orchards. Sweet with a little bit of tartness.

No comments:

Post a Comment