Thursday, July 12, 2012

Peaches - Homemade Peach Salsa

Next up, canning peach salsa! I love salsa and canning my own will guarantee that it is inexpensive while also making flavors I enjoy. I often go to the grocery store and find that most of the flavors there are either too bland or too expensive for my taste. My first time canning salsa I used a salsa seasoning packet. All I had to add to it were canned tomatoes and I also added canned corn since I like southwestern style salsa. I used the medium heat flavoring package and I really enjoyed it but I know I can make my own salsa equally as tasteful! I also want to use fresh tomatoes since I think this will add to the flavor of my salsa.
Since I don't have time this week to actually prepare the salsa I will need to freeze the peaches until I have time to work with them. First I removed the skins, using the method of dipping the peaches in boiling water for one minute, then dipping in ice cold water. I removed the skins, then dipped the peaches back in lemon juice & water to retain the peaches' color.
Next, I cut the peaches into workable slices for the salsa and I laid the slices out on trays to be placed in the freezer. I will let them freeze flat and separated for about half an hour before placing them in a bag so they will each be frozen individually and not become one big clump of peach!

No comments:

Post a Comment