Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Peaches - Canned Peaches

I always forget how messy Peaches are! I let the peaches I picked ripen on the counter for about three days (I picked them hard) and they were soft to the touch when I decided to can them - I probably could have done them a day or so earlier so the fruit would be firmer in the jars but I was too busy and time slipped away.. So, I decided to can most of my peaches, about 6 pint jars worth. I also always forget how much of a process peaches are so it's good to do a bunch all at once. Oh yeah, and don't forget to put your cutting board and three bowls close together while you are removing the skins, dunking them in lemon juice so the color doesn't change in the peaches, and then dumping the pits in your compost bowl.. I had mine all in different places along the counter on both sides of my stove which resulted in a sticky floor and lots of mess! I will need to wash my floor again tonight! This was a fun blog for getting ideas about different uses for peaches: http://shannandesh.blogspot.com/2010/09/peaches-peach-sauce-peach-butter.html The ideas for vanilla peach sauce and freezing peaches make me want to go back and pick more peaches real soon! Basically the process I went through with my peaches was as follows: Blanch the peaches: Dunk them in boiling water for a minute, throw them in ice water immediately afterward, then remove the skins, they should slide off easily. Cut the peaches up and put in jars. Pour boiling sugar water (6 cups water, 2 cups sugar, I did a "light" syrup) over the fruit in the jars, put lids on and water bath can for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment