Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Marionberries - Marionberry Cake

Today I was given two two pint baskets of beautiful ripe marionberries! Marionberries are native to Oregon. They were created at the Oregon State University as a cross breed from cross-pollinating two different kinds of caneberries (the chehalem blackberry and olallie). I froze one pint by rinsing them and letting them freeze flat on a cooky tray before placing them in a bag. The rest I made into a marionberry cake. The recipe was called Marionberry cheesecake but it's more like a cross between a scone and a cake - delicious! I followed the recipe but altered it slightly. I mixed together 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/3 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/3 cup soft butter, 2 egg whites, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mixed it all together until well blended (I mixed by hand)Then I pushed it flat in a sprayed pie plate and placed a pint of marionberries on top. Baked in 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes until cooked through and edges just slightly brown. This would be great served with vanilla ice cream on top! See original recipe here. http://www.gingerich.com/recipes/marion/01cheesecake.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment