Saturday, July 7, 2012

Cherries from Detering's Orchard - Dried Cherries

Today was a fun day with friends at Detering's Orchard in Harrisburg, Oregon. We picked Cherries & Peaches (the other girls picked raspberries but I didn't want any). Some of the Cherries I've kept to eat fresh. For the rest, I put some cherries and some blueberries from an earlier trip to Bear's Berries in my dehydrator. I picked about 4 pounds of cherries which means I will probably do two rounds of dried cherries. I love eating dried cherries, cranberries, or blueberries on my breakfast cereal. The peaches I picked aren't ripe yet so I will wait until they are ripe to decide what to do with them.
This picture (see below) is of my dried cherries the next day. I left them in the dehydrator for about 15 hours on 115 degrees. I will have a pint sized bag worth when they are all done. The secret to good dried cherries is knowing they are done when they are no longer sticky and feel completely dried out through the middle. Otherwise, they can mold or not hold together well if in the bag for longer than a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment