Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Peaches - Peach Jam & Peach Butter

Tonight I made Peach Jam and Peach Butter. I just discovered yesterday they now make individual size pectin packages so you can make a very small jam batch. It's enough for 2 half pint jars but I made my jam to fit into just one full sized pint jar. I had 1 1/3 cups peaches, mashed them up in sauce pan. Then I added 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 1/3 cups sugar. Cook together first the lemon juice and peaches to a full boil, then add the sugar all at once and cook at full boil for one minute (directions from back of package. Then can for 10 minutes in hot water bath.
I actually started my Peach Butter yesterday by removing the skins and cutting up the peaches. I left them in the crockpot overnight with the lemon juice and put it in the fridge. The next day in my crockpot, I mashed down about 2 cups peaches, 2 cups sugar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. I also put in about 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract and let it cook for 4-8 hours on low. When it was cooked down brown and bubbly I canned it up into two pint jars. (Canned in hot water bath for 30 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment